To help each student graduate prepared with the knowledge and skills necessary to be a productive citizen.
We Believe that students learn best:
- in a safe and orderly environment
- when a clear and focused mission is shared by students, faculty, and parents
- when excellent instruction is a goal of teachers and administrators
- when student progress is continually monitored to ensure that they are learning
- when students can see the relevance of what they are learning
- when given opportunities to participate in community service and extracurricular activities
- when mutual respect exists among students, parents, and teachers.
Statement of Goals
In addition to the regular school program, Cyprus High School offers educational programs through an alternative after-school program.
- Establish and maintain a safe, orderly school environment
- Provide parents, students and teachers a written code of conduct which specifies acceptable student behavior and discipline procedures and consequences
- Act quickly to discipline unacceptable behavior in accordance with the written code
- Select and maintain a certified, qualified staff
- Provide the physical facilities for complete school programs
- Offer a variety of required and elective courses to meet the wide range of student needs and interests
- Maintain an atmosphere of cooperation and learning within the school and community
- Provide a counseling program which meets personal, professional and career needs
- Encourage student government programs and activities which teach the values and principles of a democratic society
- Support assemblies and extra-curricular activities which provide students with opportunities for self-expression and development of talent and skills
- Foster community support and participation for school programs
- Are certified, qualified and dedicated
- Maintain exemplary behavior in keeping with the accepted standards of society
- Encourage and facilitate achievements of other staff members
- Encourage students to become well-informed and interested in activities by exposing them to a variety of stimuli
- Strive to accomplish the goals and policies of the school and the school district
- Use appropriate instructional techniques, monitor their effectiveness and modify those teaching strategies when necessary
- Communicate student expectations clearly and purposefully
- Provide a well-rounded education for those students who plan to continue their education beyond high school, as well as for those who plan to enter the work force after high school
- Prepare students for their roles as useful, productive citizens who respect the traditions and symbols of our country, and who will preserve the heritage of America
- Recognize and reward students’ achievements and excellence
- Strive to develop and increase their ability levels in academic, vocational, social and physical areas
- Encourage fellow students to reach their full potential in areas of educational, social and emotional maturity
- Maintain open communication with teachers, administrators and fellow students to promote a friendly atmosphere in and around the school
- Cooperate with parents, faculty and administrators by participating in the various programs provided
- Develop a sense of responsibility toward themselves, their home, community, school, state and country
- Participate in the formation and support of representative government which works with administrators, teachers, and parents, but represents the concerns of the students
- Develop critical thinking skills and effective communication skills
- Show acceptance, as equals, of others from different cultures and backgrounds
- Attain minimum standards of achievement and minimum requirements established by Granite School District and the state of Utah, before being granted a Cyprus High School diploma
- Encourage the quest for excellence in their students’ academic, vocational, social, and physical development
- Provide a home environment that supports educational pursuits and responsible citizenry
- Show an interest in their student’s achievement by working with the school’s administrators and teachers in developing meaningful curriculum, supporting programs and encouraging participation
- Stimulate their student’s critical thinking and effective communication skills by providing access to current events and an opportunity to discuss them
- Encourage and demonstrate tolerance and acceptance, as equals, of people from other cultures and backgrounds.
- Increase academic achievements.
- Each student will increase their G.P.A. by .50.
- Meet or exceed district guidelines for increased S.A.T. scores.
- Increase student attendance from 94 percent to 95 percent.
- Promote and maintain a quality learning environment.
- Maintain a drug-free status for the school.
- Teachers will work to develop improved reading and writing skills in each discipline.
- Implement Project 2000, a program of patron and community support.
General Rules of Conduct
Students are expected to treat other students, teachers, staff, administration,, patrons and visitors to the school with respect. Foul and/or abusive language, extortion, harassments, and fighting are not allowed. Students who violate these rules are subject to suspension and parent conference for readmission to school.
- Be on time to all classes.
- Come prepared to and participate in all classes (this includes homework).
- Demonstrate acceptable behavior at all times.
- Be responsible for one’s own actions.
- Pursue academic excellence in all disciplines.
- Demonstrate and model cultural sensitivity to all ethnic persuasions.
- Support and promote a democratic system that follows due process and protects the civil liberties of all individuals.
- Help maintain a clean and safe, healthy learning environment.
- Maintain acceptable citizenship marks.
- Promote and practice a healthy lifestyle, which includes a “drug-free” environment.
When these guidelines are met, the privilege of attending Cyprus High School will merit an outstanding learning experience rich in academic excellence which will prepare the student for higher education, social success, vocational skills and democratic values.
Non-compliance with these expectations will indicate disinterest in attending Cyprus High School. Arrangements may be made to attend another institution or an alternate program. Please refer to the behavior conduct code.