Hello to our Dragon Community!
What a great start to the school year! We’ve had a great opening week of school. We appreciate your and your child’s patience this week as we establish strong procedures, routines, and expectations that lay the foundation for a positive school culture. This week, we:
- Began teaching the classroom expectations, procedures, and routines including procedures for entering the building in the morning, classroom entry & exit, and ending the day.
- Engaged students in conversations regarding positive culture, empathy among students, conflict resolution, ability to connect grit and positive mindset with success, and goal-setting.
- Reviewed the expectations in the student handbook.
“Consistent expectations keep students happier because it is easier to know what to do…You can set up a beautiful vision for student culture, but if you don’t practice, it will only last a week.” – Bambrick-Santoyo, Leverage Leadership
Many parents were able to attend our “Back-to-School Morning” event on Monday. We realize though that because of other commitments, not everyone could make it. Please know that we value your role as parents and encourage you to be involved in your child’s education. Some highlights from our parent meeting are:
- I am working to increase the information posted on the school website this year. It is a great place to access information including contact information for teachers and community council members, event information, PTA information, and general news about what we are doing at school.
- Our security remodel is half-way completed. This remodel was completed to increase the security of our school and all parents will need to come to the office to gain access to the school. Because of the remodel, we are without an intercom or bell system still, so please allow extra time for us to go get your student if you need to check them out during the day.
- Attendance Reminder: We follow the state Compulsory Attendance Laws.
- Parents may excuse 7 absences during the year. Once a student has 7 excused & 5 unexcused absences we enter the truancy process.
- Please notify the school when your child is absent.
- Free and Reduced lunch applications are available online and must be filled out every year. If you need assistance with the process, please visit the office. We are happy to help.
- If you are interested in serving at the School Community Council, please fill out a declaration of candidacy in the office by Sept. 11, 2018. We hold meetings monthly after school.
- Please refer to the updated behavior plan in your child’s folder or planner. We are continuing to implement our Positive Behavior Support in the classrooms. We are striving to have consistency across the school so we can help all students succeed.
- We are striving to improve our communication with parents and will contact you when we have concerns or issues we would like to discuss. We ask that you please respect our teachers and go to them if you have concerns or issues as well.
- We have 2 fundraisers planned for the year. The first one is done by the PTA and it will be the Wasatch Savings Books. Our kick-off assembly is August 28th. The school fundraiser will be the Papa Murphy’s Pizza Cards. This will take place later in the year. We appreciate all and any support you and your family can give to our fundraisers as they are a way for us to provide additional assemblies, field trips, and materials for our students.
- Our PTA is encouraging parents to join the PTA. Your membership does not require that you take charge of an event, but it does support our students. They do have openings for commissioners to serve on the board, and if you are interested in giving a little time, please contact Carlie Hahn, our PTA President. Her email is: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are excited for the year!! We encourage you to be a part of your child’s learning. You can do this by listening to your child read daily, reviewing math facts with them, and encouraging them with a positive belief in their ability to learn and do hard things! We welcome you to come and volunteer in classrooms when possible. We want to build our Bacchus community!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions. My door is always open.
Mrs. Becki Monson