Our mission at BJH is to promote a safe, caring, and supportive environment in which students develop the necessary skills for responsible citizenship, orientation in career choices, appropriate social interaction, academic expertise, and a desire for life-long learning.
- Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs.
- A safe and physically comfortable environment promotes student learning.
- Teachers, administrators, parents, and the community share the responsibility for advancing the school’s mission.
- A student’s self-esteem is enhanced by positive relationships and mutual respect among and between students and staff.
- The commitment to continuous improvement is imperative if our school is going to enable students to become confident, self-directed, and life-long learners.
- Students’ learning needs should be the primary focus of all decisions impacting the work of the school.
DESIRED RESULTS FOR LEARNING
- EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION
- Students communicate with clarity, purpose, and understanding of audience.
- Students recognize, integrate, and evaluate various forms of communication.
- THINKING AND REASONING SKILLS
- Students gather, classify, organize, and use information effectively to gain new knowledge.
- Students support inferences and justify conclusions.
- Students utilize multiple strategies to solve problems.
- Students demonstrate creativity in a variety of contexts.
- INTERPERSONAL SKILLS / SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Students collaborate to set and achieve goals.
- Students manage and evaluate their behaviors in group-work.
- Students develop conflict resolution skills.
- Students take responsibility for personal actions.
- Students respect themselves and others.
- Students will understand and demonstrate their civic responsibility.
Students promoted from eighth grade will attend Cottonwood High School.
Athletic programs include volleyball, basketball, soccer, track, wrestling and cross country. Along with an active MESA club, BJHS sponsors an annual musical and dramatic play, a spring Shakespearean “festival”, and multiple choir/instrumental performances.