Churchill is committed to giving your student(s) the best online learning possible. The purpose of the message this week is to provide a vision for the last month of school. I apologize for the length of it!
Online learning continues for the next couple of weeks. The weekly schedule is provided here:
Teachers are available for communication during regular school hours. Many departments have provided an office hour for direct communication either via Microsoft Teams or quick and responsive email. Please also refer below or see their canvas pages for additional information about communication.
The following Departments have set up times to chat either via Microsoft Teams or quickly with emails or phone calls:
- Math: Mondays: 1 to 2 p.m.; Wednesdays: 1 to 2 p.m.
- CTE: Mondays from 10 to 11:00 a.m.
- Science: Tuesday from 10 to 11:00 a.m.
- English: As needed, Chester 1:30 to 2 p.m.
- Fine arts: Thursday 10 to 11:00 a.m.
Important dates and information for the last month of school:
We want to ensure that proficiency scores/grades accurately reflect the learning and work that students have produced. This requires time to allow communication between student and teacher, after scores have been posted.
- Last day for new assessments that affect scores.
May 13th P.M.:
- A Student Support Message like this one will be sent out. This message will show student scores as they currently stand as of the 13th. This message will include a link to a Google form. This form will contain the option to sign off on the score in the May 13th message and the option to stay with the GSD grade reporting or a request to convert to the standard proficiency/grade reporting.
- It will also contain the option to identify that your student wants more time to improve their score.
Checking out or checking in items:
Signing off on the score/grade reporting will give the option to check in and or obtain items your student has at the school. Safety is our number one priority. Our preference is to avoid entry into our building to prevent contact. The google form on the 13th will allow you to choose a curbside pickup and drop off time.
Possible pick up items could include locker items, gym locker items, dance outfits, etc. Check in items can include textbooks, school equipment, and library books.
The office is receiving several calls and emails regarding library fines showing on student accounts on the webstore. We apologize for any confusion we have caused.
Churchill Junior High stopped charging late fees on March 14. Any books checked in after that date will only be charged a late fine from the date the book was due until March 14. Library Late fines are transferred to the webstore every 4-6 weeks. We recently made one of these transfers to the webstore. This has caused many patrons to worry that the charges were just recently accrued which is NOT accurate. The late fees were most likely accrued between Jan. 21 – March 13. We will do another transfer at the end of May. We hope this clarifies some of the confusion.
Chromebooks are available to keep over summer. However, the community feedback we have received is families that no longer need them for online learning would prefer to check them in to avoid possible damage. The option for Chromebook check in will also be available on the Google form.
Important upcoming events:
May 4th -May 8th:
- Teacher appreciation week! Students: consider sending an email or video to your teacher telling them your personal thank you! Making a difference is why teachers do what they do. Give a shout out!
- Community council at 1:30 P.M.
- Last day of school.
Please see below for your current scores and teacher plans for the upcoming week.