Thanks to all our students and families for a successful first quarter. We appreciate our incredible students, parents and teachers who work in partnership for success even when life is not quite “normal.”
I would like to give a shout out to our incredible teachers. I can say with confidence our teachers at Churchill are driven to help students succeed. Our employee parking lot is almost a thermometer for our teacher’s workloads. Teachers arrive hours early and stay well into the evening. I share this only so you can know that our teachers care and work hard for your student. Teachers work hard to make an impact and difference. If you get a chance to say a thank you -know that it means a lot.
Teachers will be using next week to enhance their teaching practices even more.
Important information for second quarter:
- A reminder that Tuesday the 20th is a distance learning day and the 22nd to the 23rd are student not attendance days.
- Covid Safety: Our students have been doing incredible with our Covid expectations. However, just like in football, quarters are excellent times to remind and refresh. Please remind your student about the importance of mask wearing, following our hallway expectations (walking single file, going straight to class) and lunch expectations (keeping 6 feet apart while eating and wearing masks when not eating.)
- Chromebooks: We have seen an increase in Chromebook damage. Please talk to your student about how to keep their Chromebooks safe at home. How to transport it safely and using safely while at school. Much of the damage we have seen has come from leaning on it and pressing on the screens to hard.
- Overdue book notices: Students should check in their @granitesd.org email for the notice if they have an overdue item.
- Vandalism: We have received word from neighbors that some students have been taking political signs down and vandalizing them. Please talk to your students about modeling the best of the Charger way in and out of school.
- Lunchtime: The balancing act of the year is creating ways to stay safe but also giving our students as much sense of normalcy as possible. We are continuing sacred traditions like our PTA giving students birthday pizzas in a Covid safe manner and allowing students to engage in sports or activities at lunch while wearing masks. Please continue to talk to your student about your expectations with these activities.
- Late arrivals: Students coming late to school must check into the counseling center before going to class.
- Safety for pick up and drop off: Please do not park near our crosswalk areas as they make blind spots for our students. Stop and allow students to cross when waiting for the crosswalk. As the drop off time gets darker please drive slowly and follow our drop off expectations (drop off lane is next to curb other lanes should be moving lanes).
- Spirit Week and Halloween:
We are allowing daily themed dress up for Spirit Week and Halloween. Costumes must not include costume masks (Covid-19 mitigation masks still must be worn). Costumes cannot be political in nature. Schools must be a haven from politics or pollical statements. Costumes must adhere to our dress code. Please help us preserve our tradition of allowing costumes by talking to your student about your expectations. Spirit week dress days are listed on our Churchill calendar on our school webpage.
Quarter 2 Class Rotation for 6th Grade Students:
The new quarter begins on Monday, October 26. Most of the 6th grade students will have a new class either 1st OR 5th period. Students should report to their regular first period class that Monday and the first period teacher will give them their new schedule and then excuse them to go to their new class.
Correct Phone Number:
Please call the Counseling Center at 385-646-5145 for the following:
- Checking your student in late
- Checking your student out early
- Reporting an absence
- Contacting your student’s counselor
- Immunizations or student records