September 6, 2013
Dear Community Members,
School improvement is the responsibility of everyone. School Community Councils are one way we can work together to make schools more successful. The School Community Council works to promote school improvement. School Community Council members work to improve the school environment and safety and provide critical feedback on programmatic issues. We encourage you to be a member of our School Community Council. Currently, we have three available openings. It’s easy to become involved. School Community Council members serve for a two year term and must have a child attending our school. The time commitment is around an hour a month. Our school will be holding elections on September 23-25, 2013. Declaration of Candidacy forms were sent out in May, but you can also print a form found on our school website under the Community Council tab. (https://schools.graniteschools.org/elkrun/ If you are interested, please submit the Declaration of Candidacy form to Mr. Adams no later than 3:00 p.m. on September 13, 2013.
We are also starting our Road to Success program. It is so important to have our students read at least 20 minutes or more daily. Tips found on PBS.org include:
- Be a reader and writer yourself. You can demonstrate for your child that reading and writing is both fun and useful.
- Set aside a consistent time each day for reading. Whatever time you choose, stick to it.
- Connect reading choices to activities. Have your child read or be read to books relating to season activities such as camping, skiing, playing football or visiting a museum.
- Allow your child to choose their own books. Take your child to the public library (Magna has a fantastic new library), and check out books according to their interests….such as sports, dinosaurs, art etc…
- Encourage your child to write. Children love to write and send postcards or keep a journal.
Thank you for your many hours of volunteer work and raising such wonderful children. Thank you for supporting the fund raiser. Together we can make a positive difference for each student. Please have your student turn in their Student Survey and Goal Setting Sheet to their teacher by September 13, 2013.
Mr. Adams, Principal