Dear Elk Run Community Members,
On behalf of the Elk Run Elementary Community Council, we would like to inform you on the progress of monies used from 2012-2013 Land Trust funds for promoting student achievement, safety and success:
- Community Council meets monthly to discuss student achievement and the needs of the students. Minutes and meeting dates are posted on line on the school web page for public access. Our website is https://schools.graniteschools.org/elkrun . We welcome all to attend our meetings.
- Teachers run an after school reading program to aid students in reading. Most of the students attending the after school reading program have made significant growth in fluency and reading comprehension.
- Teachers also run a before or after school math tutoring program. Data shows students in the program are making significant growth.
- Teachers have received training in the following: The Big 8 (behavior management and engagement strategies), DIBELS, Acuity, Go Math and technology classes. Teachers then implement the training into classroom teaching and instruction.
- Aides have been hired to assist in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth grade class rooms. An aide is also hired to assist our ESL students. With the additional support; students are becoming more successful and proficient. ESL students are also using Imagine Learning; a technology program that assists in learning the English language.
- The community council met to create a safe walking route. The route can be assessed at http://snapforschools.com/Map view.aspx
- The community council voiced concerns regarding the safety of students walking on 3500 South. A crosswalk and an additional crossing guard were added to meet the safety needs of our students.
- The council is working on getting signatures from the community and working on steps needed for a possible overhead crosswalk on 8400 West.
- We will continue to meet the needs of our students and appreciate your continued support.
Elk Run Community Council