It’s that time of the year once again for our end of year testing. Testing for our 3rd – 6th grade students will be ongoing through the middle of May. (Check with your students for the specific days they will test.) Please help them to be successful by following these simple tips.
The Night Before the Test:
- Make sure your child gets plenty of sleep the night before the test.
- Plan ahead to avoid problems before the test so he/she doesn’t go to bed upset.
- Tell your child you know tests can be hard, but that taking them gives him/her a chance to show how well he/she can do.
- Be encouraging — let your child know you think he/she will do well on the test.
- Consider playing an educational game like Scrabble™ to help your child get into the testing spirit.
The Morning of the Test:
- Have your child get up early enough to avoid hurrying.
2. Make sure your child has a good breakfast on the morning of the test.
3. Have your child dress in something comfortable and familiar.
4. Be positive when you send your child to school.
5. Make sure he/she goes to school on the day of the test (make-ups are difficult to arrange).
After the Test:
- Reward your child for trying hard on the test.
2. Talk with your child about what was learned from the test.
3. Talk with your child about what can be done between now and the next time a test is given to improve their performance.
When you receive your child’s test results:
- Don’t compare his/her performance to a sibling or a friend’s child.
2. Point out your child’s strong areas and how proud you are.
3. Talk about the areas of need and how the family can work together to improve those areas.
4. Discuss with your child’s counselor any questions you or your child have about the test or the results.