October 6th, 2020
Second Quarter- 2nd Notification
Parents of Hunter Elementary students,
As we approach the end of the first quarter of school, it is time to submit your 2nd Quarter Learning Options Form to indicate the learning modality your student(s) will engage in for the 2nd quarter. Thank you to those whom have already submitted this form. This form must be received (electronically or hard copy) in the office by October 9th. The second quarter begins on October 26th and ends on January 14th. Please consider your choice carefully, as your child is expected to remain in the chosen learning modality throughout the entire quarter. Depending on the number of face-to-face and distance learning students for 2nd quarter, we anticipate that we may need to make some adjustments with classroom teachers in some grade levels. We need a response for every student even if you are not changing their current learning option.
What is Distance Learning at Hunter Elementary and is it right for my student?
All Hunter teachers are currently tasked with providing both in-person and distance learning options for students. Teachers at every grade level are working hard to develop lessons for students to ensure they learn and engage in activities in order to master grade level core concepts by the end of the school year.
Distance learning looks different at every grade level and is similar but not the same as in-person learning, so online students would not be expected to be at their computer from 9:05-3:45! Teachers typically use a combination of video, stream, and online activities for students. Often times teachers may record live teaching so students at home can watch in real time, or tune in to the video at a better time in their schedule at home. There may be opportunities for online small group instruction for students as well. Distance learners are a part of our school community and we will make intentional effort to ensure they feel part of our Hunter Family.
Distance Learning Expectations.
Below you will find our schools expectation for distance learning. We hope to be clear as we navigate the needs of both teachers and students, and provide a high quality education for our students choosing to engage in remote learning.
Hunter Teachers Will…
● Provide instruction through the Google Classroom platform that includes
various modalities of instruction, assignments and assessments.
● Plan Distance Learning curriculum to match the pace of our Face to Face
● Communicate with families weekly via email. Sometimes these emails
end up in junk mail. Please check all email folders.
● Schedule online meetings (Zoom or Google meet) on Fridays to
build community, provide instructional support and answer
● Provide support during the week via email, phone calls and/or scheduled
● Provide feedback on student assignments
● Continue to follow our district’s Proficiency Based Learning policy.
Grades will be based on proficiency scales and student assessments.
● Use assessments to determine students’ proficiency of grade level
● Will best provide technical support when students are accessing learning
on a school issued Chromebook.
Hunter Families Will…
● Reach out if support is needed via Google Classroom, email or phone.
● Check for work completion daily by looking at your students google
classroom assignments in order to prepare for assessments.
● Ensure that students complete assessments independently.
● Use Chromebooks to engage in distance learning. Other devices may not
be compatible with our assignments.
● Check in regularly to ensure students are engaging in the work and
accountable for the workload.