Happy New Year and welcome back! We hope you had a wonderful Winter Break. We are asking for your help with the following:
- Attendance – Please send your child to school on time each day. As a reminder of Granite School District Attendance Procedures and Utah Compulsory Attendance Laws, a parent may excuse up to 7 days of absences within a school year. Subsequent absences are considered excessive and require a doctor’s note to excuse. Your provider can send us this note via fax (385-646-4937) or e-mail (email@example.com). We are also seeing a lot of tardies this school year. As tardies accumulate, they are added up and start counting as absences. Every Day Counts, Every Minute Matters.
- Cold or Inclement Weather – Our school procedures and expectations for cold or inclement weather (which can also be found in our school folders) include:
- All students are expected to arrive at school dressed appropriately for the weather. Please label all coats, jackets, hats, etc.
- All students will go outside at recess time. We will honor parent notes for students to stay inside, but only for short periods of recuperation. A note will be required each day.
- The office staff and/or I determine, generally based upon weather conditions, whether students remain outside or come inside the building until school begins.
- Students remain outside if weather is clear and the temperature, including wind chill, is 20 degrees or higher. This threshold was discussed and voted on by our Community Council.
- Please do not send students to school too early. Crossing guards are on duty 20 minutes before school begins.
- Expect students to return home promptly after the afternoon dismissal. Crossing guards are on duty 20 minutes after school ends.
- Traffic Safety – Now that snow has returned, we ask you to be extra careful when dropping off or picking up students. Please drive slowly through the drop-off zone and pay close attention to our safety patrol. Pull as far forward as possible and park only in designated parking spaces. Also, remember not to park on Neptune Drive as it is a narrow street and emergency vehicles need it to remain clear for accessibility.
We are looking forward to a great 2019 together!
Christine Drummond, Principal