GRANDPARENTS’ DAY INFORMATION
** Please read entire handout **
Our grandparents’ day lunch is just around the corner. This year it is on Wednesday and Thursday, September 18 and 19. (In lieu of grandparents, parents or another family member are welcome to attend.) This is a very popular event and we have a few hundred grandparents joining us on those two days, so it is very important that our grandparent visitors understand our procedures for those days. Please carefully explain this information to whomever will be at Oakwood to join your student(s) that day:
1) Students with a last name starting with A-M should have their grandparents attend on Wed., Sept. 18. Students with a last name starting with N-Z should have their grandparents attend on Thurs., Sept. 19. (Siblings with different last names can choose which day to attend.)
2) Please let your grandparents know: the names of each student, grade, teacher name and room number.
3) Grandparents need to be at the school at least 5-10 minutes prior to the youngest student’s lunch time. For example, if your youngest is a 1st grader, your grandparent would need to be there no later than 12:05. (school lunch schedule and menu on back) If your grandparent arrives after the class goes to lunch, it is very difficult for them to find your kids in the lunchroom.
4) Upon entering the school through the front doors, your grandparent will need to get a visitor pass from a PTA volunteer. They should then proceed quietly to the youngest student’s room to pick them up for lunch. If you have other kids, they can proceed to pick up their older siblings. The office is not available that day to individually call students down for the grandparents. Once everyone is gathered, they are to either, 1) go the lunchroom to pick up their pre-paid hot lunch, or 2) go directly to the gym if they have brought a lunch. Remind your student to watch for their grandparents at the classroom door. We want to minimize class disruption and minimize visitors wandering the halls.
5) All grandparents and students must eat lunch in the gym. The lunchroom cannot accommodate everyone.
6) Once finished with lunch, grandparents and students are welcome to attend the book fair in the library.
7) Grandparents are not allowed to park in drop-off zones as we have kindergarteners and pre-schoolers who will be using this. Overflow parking is available in the church parking lot to the south. (Don’t park on Frontier Rd. or Hedgewood.) You may want to consider dropping your grandparents off to alleviate parking issues.
The lunch line during grandparents day can be very long and cumbersome for both grandparents and students. You can avoid the long wait in line by having your grandparents bring lunch that day for themselves and your students. This is a fun option the kids enjoy! If your grandparents wish to purchase hot lunch, we MUST know in advance. The cost for hot lunch is $2.75 per person and this needs to be paid up front. Please return the form below by no later than Wed. Sept. 11th.
Thank you for your help and for making Oakwood’s grandparents day enjoyable! WE LOVE OUR GRANDPARENTS! (This handout is also available on the school’s website.)
Yes, we wish to purchase hot lunch for our grandparents:
Student(s) Name (s): _____________________________________________________
Number of Guests: _______________________________________________________
Day Attending: _________________________________________________
Total amount paid for guests: _____________________________________ (must be attached)
**Return with money by Wednesday, Sept 11th**
12:10 -12:45 Lunch 1
12:15 – 12:50 Lunch 2
12:20 – 12:55 Lunch 3
12:35 – 1:10 Lunch 4
12:40 – 1:15 Lunch 5
12:45 – 1:20 Lunch 6
MENU – WEDNESDAY SEPT. 18TH
Ham and Cheese Sandwich
Chicken Fiesta Salad with Chips
MENU – THURSDAY SEPT. 19TH
Chicken Fajita Taco
Bean and Cheese Burrito
Bologna and Cheese Sandwich
Chef Salad with Breadsticks