Olympus Parents and Students,
As we approach winter break we have some very important news to get out to you regarding class changes for second semester classes.
After a six year hiatus, Olympus High School will be returning to a single class change session that will be held on Monday morning, January 7th.
This class change session will be open to seniors from 7:20 – 7:40,juniors from 7:40 – 8:00 and sophomores from 8:00 – 8:20.
The only class changes that will be entertained after this day will be for core class level changes (honors to core, core to fundamentals, etc.) , teacher-initiated changes and in other rare circumstances.
There are several benefits for this change:
• Students are enrolled in their classes from Day 1 of the semester and do not have to catch up in a class due to transferring in midway through a quarter.
• Teachers will better be able to balance rosters across their department leading to smaller class sizes.
• Counselors and parents can be more pro-active in keeping their students on pace for graduation.
• Counselors can be more available to meet the mental health needs of our school.
• Students are more in line with national college admissions advisers advice for the need to demonstrate dedication, resilience and grit.
The Olympus High counselors have been meeting with students making sure that their schedules are both complete and meeting graduation needs. Currently, 96% of all Olympus students have complete schedules and won’t need to facilitate a class change. However, if they’d like to do so, this morning is for them. Second semester class schedules are currently available through the student and parent portal and the school will also have copies available that morning that can be picked up before class change day.
How the process will work:
• Students enter the main gym through the South-West doors.
• Student pays $5 class change fee and receives their class change form.
• Student locates the teacher(s) and obtains the signature(s) necessary to ADD a class or classes.
• Student locates the teacher(s) and obtains the signature(s) necessary to DROP the replaced class or classes.
• Upon completion, the student will get final approval from their counselor as they exit the gym through the NorthEast doors.
• Students will attend their revised class schedule at the start of second semester on Monday January 14th.
• Counselors will make the changes to the student schedules over the next 1-3 days.
• Students and parents should check their grades/schedule on the student portal by Friday January 18th to make sure that their schedule matches the classes they are attending based on changes made at class change day.
Parents, we would really appreciate your assistance in preparing your children for this event in the case that they need to change their schedule.
The following is a link to our 2nd semester at a glance which displays each of our teachers and classes available for 2nd semester:
A second resource that you could utilize is our 2018-19 Course Catalog that contains a description of each class:
Please assist us by informing your students of this new class change process and support us as we remain committed to keeping changes to this single morning event.