2011-2018 UTAH’S GEAR UP STATE GRANT
GEAR UP is an acronym for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs. It is a seven-year federal grant program that provides services and assistance for low-income students in order to help them successfully graduate from high school and prepare for college.
- Increase academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Increase the rate of high school graduation and enrollment in postsecondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Increase GEAR UP students’ and their families’ knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparations, and financing.
- Increase GEAR UP students’ success in their first year of attendance at an institution of higher education
- Tutoring and mentoring
- Academic counseling
- College readiness preparation
- Financial aid assistance
- First year in college support
- Parent and family support
- Financial literacy education
- Increased program evaluation and data gathering
The Application for GEAR UP can be obtained through one of the GEAR UP Advisors at Taylorsville High School in G111