Community Council, 8:00 A.M..
Attendance: Margarita Morales-Chair, Kelli Handy-Vice Chair, Sara Noel, Jolene Randall, Principal
Excused: Aleisha Ivins, Reyna Diego, Traci Jones
1. Shared Leadership 7 Habits- encourage parents to have students practice and teach them at home.
2. A concern about 6th grade class size was raised. Staffing issues, class size, and grade-level needs were explained. Other options were discussed. Will look at LandTrust budgets to see if it allows for additional aide support.
3. Elections and openings were reviewed. Elections will be during SEP’s, September 25 and 26, 2013. There is one position available.
4. Reviewed awarded grants for the 2013-14 school year.
*BTS Arts – opportunity to have art instruction once a week for all students.
*Fruit and Veggies – opportunity for students to have a fresh fruit or veggie snack every Tuesday and Thursday.
*The Leader in Me Leadership award – implementation of the 7 Habits
*State Leadership initiative award – supports the leadership instruction
*Tutoring – YMCA 21st Century Grant – will provide after school tutoring for up to 30 students in each of three sessions. (beginning target 3rd and 4th grade students)
5. Reviewed speciality classes: Music, ART, PE and computers
6. Shared instruction focus centered on the CORE essential concept for reading, math and science. Programs are tools to teach.
7. School grading and district/school focus. The instructional focus for Vista is to teach the essential CORE concepts and use Imagine It! as a tool
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 A.M.