Dear Parents & Guardians,
Smart Smiles is a school based oral health program that focuses on dental disease prevention. Oral care is provided at the school during school hours and serves both insured and uninsured students. There are no fees to the child or the family for our services, but insurance (including Medicade/CHIP) will be billed if eligible. For every insured child we see, we are able to provide care to a low-income uninsured child.
By participating, your child will receive one or more of the following preventative services:
- A dental exam is performed by a dentist either onsite at the school or via tele-dentistry methods (through computer/internet).
- The oral health assessment provides the dental hygienist with information that is used to determine treatment and oral health education to child.
- Dental x-rays are images that can show areas of the teeth and gums that are not visible during a regular exam. They can help confirm cavities or other infections in the teeth and bone.
- A dental cleaning removes all the hard and soft material that forms on the child’s teeth.
- Dental sealants are a thin plastic coating painted on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth. They are bonded to the tooth and help prevent decay as your child grows.
- Silver Diamine Fluoride is a solution that is placed in a cavity to stop decay.
- Fluoride varnish is applied to the teeth to strengthen them and help them be more resistant to decay.
All restorative dental needs will be referred to your current dental home provider or a dental office/clinic in your community. We will be happy to send our findings, including x-rays to your current dental home for review.