Plymouth Elementary will be following the Leader in Me program this year. The program incorporates the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and other basic leadership skills into the Common Core Curriculum in unique and creative ways. The practice of this program has been widely proven to improve academic scores, reduce discipline problems, increase greater parent satisfaction and student self-confidence, improve the school culture, increase teacher pride, and develop a focus on twenty-first-century skills. The 7 habits students will be working on this year are listed below.
- Be Proactive – I am a responsible person. I take initiative. I choose my actions, attitudes, and moods. I do not blame others for my wrong actions. I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.
- Begin With The End In Mind – I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school’s mission and vision, and look for ways to be a good citizen.
- Put First Things First – I spend my time on things that are most important. This means I say no to things I know I should not do. I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am disciplined and organized.
- Think Win-Win – I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want. I make deposits in others’ Emotional Bank Accounts. When conflicts arise, I look for third alternatives.
- Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood – I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas. I look people in the eyes when talking.
- Synergize – I value other people’s strengths and learn from them. I get along well with others, even people who are different than me. I work well in groups. I seek out other people’s ideas to solve problems because I know that by teaming with others, we can create better solutions than any one of us alone. I am humble.
- Sharpen The Saw – I take care of my body by eating right, exercising, and getting sleep. I spend time with family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school. I take time to find meaningful ways to help others.
Questions for students:
- What does it mean to be proactive?
- How can you be proactive?
September Habit: Be Proactive
October Habit: Begin With The End In Mind
November Habit: Put First Things First
December Habit: Think Win-Win
January Habit: Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
February Habit: Synergize
March Habit: Sharpen the Saw
April Habit: First Four Habits Overview
May Habit: Last Three Habits Overview
You can purchase a copy of the Leader in Me book by going here.