What is AVID?
With AVID, students learn success is a choice and takes effort!
AVID is short for Advancement Via Individual Determination. It is an in-school academic support program that prepares students for college eligibility and success. It places academically average students in advanced classes and provides support to help them succeed. AVID is NOT a remedial program and is NOT for students who don’t do any of their homework. It is a program for motivated students and promotes Individual Determination.
The AVID Student:
- Must have a GPA of 2.0-3.5 (“B’s” and “C’s”).
- Must have the potential for rigorous course work such as honors and AP work in high school but needs academic and emotional support to complete these courses.
- Must be willing to work hard (minimum of one hour of homework nightly), stay positive, and be collaborative.
AVID Contract- For Elective and Club
The AVID Elective…
Students are enrolled in the AVID Elective. This is NOT a study hall.
In the AVID Elective, students will:
- Learn organization and study skills
- Work on critical thinking and asking probing questions
- Get academic help from peers and tutors
- Learn strategies to improve their writing and reading
- Visit college campuses and explore college options
- Participate in extracurricular and community activities
Fill out this interest form or Talk to Mrs. Preble in V13 about Applying for AVID -You will be contacted within 1-2 days.
87% of Taylorsville High School Faculty is AVID trained
All students at Taylorsville High School can expect to participate in WICOR strategies in each class every day. These strategies are designed to help students become more engaged in the learning process, which will translate into more academic success.
WICOR –Defined and examples of strategies used at Taylorsville High School:
Writing – Focused Note-Taking Process, Learning Logs
Inquiry – Essential Questions, Costa’s Levels of Thinking, Socratic Seminars
Collaboration – 30-Second Expert, Philosophical Chairs, Ink-Pair- Share
Organization – Binders, Planners
Reading – Marking the Text, GIST
AVID Elective Teachers
- English 10 Honors
- AVID 11
- Quantitative Reasoning CE
- AP Statistics
- College Algebra CE
- Secondary Math 3
- AVID 10
- Secondary Math 1 Honors
- Secondary Math 2
- Modern Math
- DECA Advisor
- Football Academic Advisor
- AVID Coordinator
- English 9
- Honors English 9
- Freshman Success
- Chess club Advisor
- Creative Writing Advisor