As a school we will select 14 students to represent Taylorsville in pursuit of the Sterling Scholar award. The purpose of the Sterling Scholar Awards is to publicly recognize and encourage the pursuit of excellence in scholarship, leadership, and citizenship of high school students in the state of Utah.
Each school may nominate one student in each of the following 14 categories:
- Social Science
- World Languages
- Computer Technology
- Skilled and Technical Sciences Education
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Business and Marketing
- Speech/Theatre Arts/Forensics
- Vocal Performance
- Visual Arts
- Instrumental Music
Each department with Taylorsville will select one student to represent them in the regional competition. Once selected by the school the nominee from the school for each category will be required to submit a portfolio.
Judging will be based on portfolios, exhibits, and personal interviews that demonstrate excellence in the following areas:
scholarship, category scholarship, leadership, community service/citizenship, and the interview.
Each year the Timeline will change concerning the portfolio as well as the interviews. As more information becomes solidified you will find a timeline on this page.
A Taylorsville student who is a senior can apply to be the Sterling Scholar nominee in one or more categories for which they are qualified; however, a student will only be selected to represent in one category. To be considered in any category students must:
- Complete the Application Form and turn it in to Mr. Burnett (I-106) or Mrs. Twitchell (H-203) no later than Wednesday, October 16, 2020. You can get the application from one of these teachers or download a fillable version here (Application) –
- You will download the form. Fill in the fields and then save it to your device and email it to Mr. B. or Mrs. Twitchell. You will find our emails below. The application requires some limited written responses. These should be included in the same email as the application form.
- Your completed applications will be given to the appropriate departments, and each department will review the application and any additional requirements to select the Sterling Scholar for their category.
- To learn more you should attend our meeting on Thursday October 1st at 2:30 in room I106. If you are unable to attend in person you can attend via zoom.
Zoom Password: SterlingTV
Please feel free to email us at any time if you have any future questions. Please allow 48 hours for us to respond.
Mr. Burnett: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Twitchell: email@example.com