Hey Parents & Students too!
Did you know you can communicate with teachers from both
Gradebook AND Canvas?
Parents the e-mail you registered in the Granite Portal gets added to both Gradebook and Canvas.
Lets look at them both right now.
Students your Microsoft account is automatically added. Did you even know you had that one?! 😉 Change it!
- Go to the Granite Gradebook and log in with your username and password.
- Or, log in to the Portal and click on Gradebook.
- Select a student by clicking on their name.
- At the top right click on “Settings” and click again on “Password”.
- Make sure your e-mail address is correct – change it if you need to.
- To e-mail a teacher. Click on Assignments. Under the teacher’s name is an e-mail icon. Click it and type your message.
…While you’re in Gradebook….
- Click on “Settings” and then on “Contacts”. Make sure it is all correct. If NOT – contact the registrar at their school.
- Go to Canvas (link is above) and log in with your username and password.
- Or, log in to the Portal and click on Canvas
- Click on Account at the top left and choose “Settings.”
- On the right side click on add “+ Contact Method“
- Add a contact method that you CHECK.
- Add your cell phone to receive a text message also. (Follow the prompts)
- After your contact methods are added click on “Notifications” at the top left.
- On the left are the types of things you can be notified about. Most important are Announcements
- Your contact methods (e-mail or texts) are listed on the right. MouseOver the options and decide if you want a text (or e-mail) Right away, Daily, Weekly, or Never. (I suggest a text and an e-mail – The texts are NOT detailed enough.)
…While you’re in Canvas….
- Click on “Calendar” to see your students calendar items. Keep in mind this is for all your students in all their classes. So there might be a lot in there. (You can “de-select” calendars by clicking on them on the right side.) Clicking on an assignment takes you to that assignment. Parents cannot submit but they can see the assignment.
- Click on “Inbox”
View any messages you may have.
Click on the Edit Tool (pencil/paper) at the top in the middle.
Chose the course you wish to send a message to.
In the to box on the right. Click the person icon and select one. I assume “Teachers” then the name.
Subject and type your message. You could also send an audio or video message if you wanted to or attach files.
- Teachers CAN do this exact same thing. BUT they see and can send to ALL the students and/or observers.
I am hearing students complain that they get “too many notifications” and therefor turn them all off. Bad idea! Go to notifications and fix it by turning off some – depending on your teachers and what they use.!