Officer AllenUnified Police Department
Mrs. Gabriela Baguley
Drama TeacherFine Arts
- Bachelor of Science from Brigham Young University of Idaho. Major: Theatre and Speech Education. Minor: History Education.
- This is Mrs. B’s first year at Churchill Jr. High!
- Endorsements include -Theatre, Speech & Debate, U.S History, and World Civilizations.
- Mrs. B began her teaching career at Rigby High School in Idaho in the fall 2016. After co-directing and designing several local middle school musical productions, she knew that middle school was the age group she wanted to teach. And she is excited to direct and design Churchills’ annual musical in the Spring. Mrs. B teaches Exploratory Drama, Theatre 1 & 2, Stage Production and World Studies.
- Bachelor of Science from Weber State University, 1978. Major: Biology Composite Teaching, Minors: Anthropology and Physical Education
- Endorsements: Science Biological, Medical Anatomy and Physiology, Physical Education and Middle School Science.
- Educator since 1982.
- Churchill Junior High since the fall of 2016.
- Ms. Blumel-Wilson taught at Cottonwood HS for 22 years, Granite HS for 2 years, and Olympus HS for 10 years, before her retirement in 2016. She returned to teach again at Churchill Junior part-time. Her teaching assignments have included: Biology 1-2, Honors Biology 1-2, AP Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, Zoology, Genetics, Algebra 1, Geometry, and Consumer Math. This year, she will teach two sections of 6th Grade Science. In the past, she coached Men's and Women's Tennis at Cottonwood HS and was a Senior Class Advisor.
Madame Helene Cha-Philippe
French Dual Immersion Teacher
- Bachelor in Law (Nancy University, France).
- Master in European Law (Nancy University, University College Dublin).
- Master of Science in Teaching (Grenoble University, France).
- Degree in Teaching French as a Foreign Language (DU FLE, Grenoble University, France).
- Educator since 2007
- Churchill Jr. High School since 2015
- Mrs. Cha-Philippe began her career as an elementary teacher in Ardèche, France. She then joined the dual immersion program at Morningside Elementary, Salt Lake City. She taught French to Junior High students at Madeleine Choir School, Salt Lake City, before joining Churchill Jr. High School.
- Bachelor Degree in English – Université François Rabelais, Tours, France
- Master’s Degree in English, Master’s Degree in Education
- Educator since 2000
- Churchill Jr. High since 2018
- Emmanuel Collins-Peynaud taught almost all grade levels from pre-K to 5th grade in elementary schools in France. He taught 6th grade French Dual Language Immersion at Morningside Elementary where he built the 6th grade DLI World History curriculum and was active in building the 6th grade DLI literacy curriculum. He worked as a State French DLI coordinator and taught 9th grade AP French DLI at Skyline High. He is currently teaching 8th and 7th grades and does coaching as a Language Specialist for Granite District.
Mr. Jared Gunter
P.E. TeacherPhysical Education
- Bachelor's Degree in Physical and Health Education K-12 from Plymouth State University, 2019
- Born and raised in New Hampshire
- Mr. Gunter began his teaching career here at Churchill in January 2020 after completing his student-teaching internship through Plymouth State University at Lin-Wood Public School in Lincoln, New Hampshire. In his spare time, Mr. Gunter enjoys skiing, hiking, working out, and spending time with friends and family.
Mr. Trent Hendricks
- Bachelor of Arts- Brigham Young University; Major – English, Minor-Computer for Humanities
- Master of Education Curriculum and Instruction- University of Phoenix, 2011
- School Administration certification- University of Phoenix, 2012
- Educator since 2001
- Churchill Jr. High School since July 2019
- Mr. Hendricks has been in Granite School District for the last 15 years. He started teaching with the Youth Education Support System for students in states custody, Prevention and guardianship specialist with Granite School District, elementary and secondary assistant principal and principal at Valley Junior High before coming to Churchill.
Mr. Brian LeStarge
Apprentice Custodian (Night)
Mrs. Laurel Myers
6th Grade English TeacherEnglish
- Bachelor of Science; Elementary Education – 2007 from University of Idaho
- Gifted Endorsement – Utah State University
- Educator since 2007
- Churchill since August 2017
- Mrs. Myers returned to school once her children were all in school. She taught reading and math to gifted 3rd, 4th and 5th graders for three years while living in Northern Idaho. She then moved on to teach in a 5th grade general class. During this experience, she was awarded “Teacher of the Year” at her school. In 2012 Mrs. Myers started teaching Language Arts at Oakridge Elementary. She has also taught a 3rd Grade Magnet class at Morningside. Before teaching, Mrs. Myers taught dance in her own studio. She also enjoys running, playing with her grandkids and attending sports events. She loves teaching and is energized by watching students learn and grow.
Mrs. BJ Nelson
6th Grade Math TeacherMath
- Bachelor of Arts – UC Stanislaus, Major: History & Liberal Arts
- Educator since 1997
- Churchill Jr. since August 2017
- Liberal Arts Student of the Year
- Student Teacher of the Year – Salida Unified School District
- Teacher of the Year – Salida Unified School District
- Professional CA endorsed: ESL, CLAD, Gifted, Science, Math & STAN
- Mrs. Nelson began her career in California with 2 children in college and 2 in high school. She started her career teaching 5th and 6th grades – all subjects for 5 years, then moved to Salida Middle School where she taught Science and Math for 5 years. Upon moving to Utah she taught 6th grade math for 12 years. While at Oakridge she taught an after school Algebra class for several years.
Mrs. Leslie Niemann
- Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education K-8 from The University of Arizona, 1983.
- Math Endorsement
- Began teaching career in Tucson, Arizona 1983
- Teacher at Churchill Junior High since 2000.
- Over the years, Mrs. Niemann has taught 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th 8th and 9th grades.
- Niemann has taught Math 7, Pre- Algebra, and Algebra. During her time as an educator she has been a presentation team leader for Academic Games, SBO advisor, cheer advisor, and a class officer advisor.
Ms. Kristine Page
Dance / Health
- Bachelor of Arts Degree from Brigham Young University (BYU): Composite Major in Health/Zoology/Communication/Sociology.
- Masters of Public Health (MPH) from Illinois Benedictine University,Chicago, Illinois.
- Licensed by the Utah Board of Education in Health, and endorsed in Physical Education, and Dance.
- Churchill Jr. High School since 1997.
- Ms. Page began her secondary school teaching career at Churchill Junior High in Salt Lake City. During her tenure, she has taught 7th and 8th grade Health, 9th grade Ballroom Dance Company, 7th, 8th, and 9th grade Dance Company, Modern Dance, Social Dance, Study Skills, and Physical Education. Prior to teaching at Churchill Junior High, she taught Social Dance at BYU and Health Education and Social Dance classes at Salt Lake Community College. She has instructed Social Dance at the Utah State prison as a pilot program for integration of offenders back into society. Ms. Page was a member of the BYU Ballroom Dance Performance Team and other competitive Ballroom Dance Teams.
Art TeacherFine Arts
- Bachelor's of Science in Arts & Environments at Utah State University
- Master's of Fine Arts in Scenic Art, Painting and Design
- Educator since 2007.
- This is Mrs. Perry's first year at Churchill Junior High!
- Mrs. Perry began her classroom teaching experience at Mount Logan Middle School in Logan, Utah. She began teaching & tutoring small groups of 6-8 grade students for a reading specialist program after graduating with both her undergraduate and graduate degrees from Utah State University. Then the following year, she was excited to teach art at Matheson Junior High School for grades 7-9. She was also the Student Body Officer advisor from 2008-2012. In 2012, for family reasons Mrs. Perry moved to Vermont (and upstate New York) and taught art for Grace Christian School for grades K-12 and then Mill River Union High School for grades 7-12. After her and her husband realized that Utah was a better fit for them and their growing family (two little children and a dog), they moved back to this area in mid-July. Mrs. Perry is looking forward to an awesome year at Churchill Junior High!
Mr. Charlie Peterson
- Bachelor of Science from Brigham Young University; Major - Physical Education 2002
- Master of Education Administrative Leadership from University of Nevada Las Vegas 2009
- Educator since 2003
- Churchill Jr. High School since July 2018
- Mr. Peterson began his teaching career at Brighton High School in 2003. He taught physical education and was both the head track coach and an assistant football coach. He moved to Granger High School in 2009 and has been with Granite School District ever since. Mr. Peterson has served as an assistant principal at Granite Park Junior, West Lake Junior and Connection High.
6th Grade ScienceScience
- Bachelor of Science in Speech Communication - University of Utah 2000
- Master of Arts in Teaching - Westminster College 2009
- STEM Endorsed - Science Technology Engineering and Math Endorsement University of Utah 2017
- Educator since 2009
- First year at Churchill Jr.
- Science is a passion of Tonya's and she is excited to be joining Churchill's team this year. She will be implementing the new Science Standards, and working on using design and engineering practices throughout the year in her classroom. Tonya grew up in Canada, in the Rocky Mountain region of Alberta. Tonya loves the outdoors and in her spare time finds herself biking, hiking, river running, exploring, and traveling. She has two boys and loves spending her spare time with them whenever she gets an opportunity to!
Mrs. Laurie Pope
- 7th Grade Science Teacher
- Education: BS Biology Education BYU 2002
- Currently pursuing MS Earth Science
- Endorsements: Biology, Middle School Science, Gifted and Talented
- Mrs. Pope has taught Biology, Earth Systems, 7th and 8th grade science
- Current Track Coach for Churchill
- Enjoys half marathons, when trained, collecting race medals, Diet Coke, and competing in chalk art competitions.
Mrs. Laura Pratt
6th Grade EnglishEnglish
- Bachelor of Arts from the University of Utah, 1994; Major: English, Minor: Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies
- Masters in Education, Culture, and Society from the University of Utah, 2017, with teaching endorsements in History, English Language Arts, and ESL
- Attended Higher Education Classes in Cairo, Egypt and Fez, Morocco
- Ms. Pratt began her career in grassroots international development in Utah, Kenya, and India, where she worked she worked with several primary and secondary schools. After leaving development work, Ms. Pratt worked in the independent film industry for a decade as a coordinator, writer, script supervisor, and producer in Utah, California, Maine, Puerto Rico, New York, and New Jersey. She has taken literary workshops from world famous authors and has published short YA fiction. In 2014 she returned to school and received her Master’s Degree in Education in 2017. As she pursues excellence in teaching, she also continues to hone her craft as a writer.
Mrs. Kimberly Reale
Home Economics Teacher
- University of Utah Degree: Fashion Merchandising.
- Alternative Route Licensing BOCES Colorado.
- Teaching 12 years High School and Junior High in Colorado and Utah.
- Churchill Jr. High 3 years.
- Mrs. Reale began her teaching career at Murray High School as a paraprofessional for the start up of an Alternative Program. She then moved to Colorado and taught at Smoky Hill High School and Eagle Valley High School, taught ProStart, a culinary and hospitality program for three years, and took students to participate as a team in State Culinary Competitions.
Comprehensive Counseling and Guidance Assistant
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts from Utah State University
- Master of Education from Utah State University
- 3rd year as a counselor in Granite School District
- Churchill Jr. since July, 2017
- Mrs. Sasouda began her career with Franklin Covey in Education Training Practice before becoming a school counselor. Mrs. Sasouda worked at Olympus Jr. and Evergreen Jr, and loves the junior high age group. She loves to travel, spend time around water of any kind (almost), and is an avid cook. She is very happy to be at Churchill and work with all the great students and staff!
Mrs. Jill Sundberg
Math 3 Teacher
- Bachelor of Science from Utah State University, 2008; Major: Mathematics/Statistics Composite
- ELL Endorsed
- Educator since 2008
- Churchill Junior High Since 2015
- Mrs. Sundberg has been with Granite School District since the beginning of her career. She began teaching at Hunter Junior High in West Valley, Utah. She made the switch to Churchill Junior in 2015. She has taught the 7th, 8th and 9th grade math curriculum throughout her career. She has been available during her after school homework clubs to help students one-on-one with their math questions.
Mrs. Diane Taylor
Instrumental Music Teacher
- Bachelor of Arts in Music Education from the University of Utah, 2007
- Educator since 2007
- Churchill Jr. High School since 2015
- Diane Taylor began her career teaching elementary music in Granite School District. She taught 4th – 6th grade band and general music for 6 years. She then taught orchestra and choir at Mt. Ogden Junior high for 2 years before coming here to Churchill Jr. High. At Churchill, Diane teaches band, orchestra, choir and general music. Outside of school, Diane is the assistant director for Murray Concert Band and has played trombone with that group since 2001. She also plays with a Dixieland group called Salt City Saints.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Brigham Young University
- Master's in School Counseling from University of Phoenix
- 6th year as a school counselor (1st year as a counselor in Granite School District).
- Churchill Jr. since July, 2017
- Mrs. Taylor began her career in Human Resources before becoming a school counselor. Mrs. Taylor worked for five years as a counselor for the Nebo School District and then worked for Granite School District implementing a district wide anti-bullying program ("Don't Stand By...Be an Ally!"). She enjoys hiking, biking and traveling with her family. She is excited to be back in counseling and is happy to work with the amazing teachers, students, and parents found at Churchill!
Mrs. Rebekka Ward
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Communications – University of Utah, 1982
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Special Education (grades Kindergarten – 12th grade and beyond) – University of Utah, 1994
- Churchill Junior High since August 2000
- Educator since 1992
- Mrs. Ward taught 7th, 8th, and 9th graders at Granite Park and Bonneville junior highs before coming to Churchill. She is very excited to also be working with 6th graders this year. Her interest in teaching was sparked when her three children were in elementary school and she was a classroom assistant at Wasatch and Franklin elementaries in Salt Lake District. Mrs. Ward’s parents were immigrants from Germany, and she grew up bilingual, with German being her first language. Mrs. Ward is a family-person, and enjoys spending time with her children and their spouses, and with her grandchildren.
Mrs. Mary Anne Wiebe-Strong
Library Media Education Technology Specialist
Mr. Christopher Winn
CTE / Computer Tech / Keyboarding
- Bachelor of Science from Utah State University, 1993; Major-Accounting
- Master of Arts from Pepperdine University, Instructional Technology
- Churchill Jr. High School since 2010
- Mr. Winn began his career at Syracuse Jr. High school. During his time there, he taught computers and college and career classes. In 2000, Mr Winn moved schools in the Davis School District where he began teaching at the Davis Applied Tech Center. While at the DATC, he taught computer tech classes. Mr. Winn began teaching at Churchill in 2010. He teaches Keyboarding, Computer Coding and College and Career Awareness.